Anorexia nervosa and bulimia
– The treatment principles
Our goal at “The Road Back Home” is to offer a comprehensive, 24/7 care for individuals suffering from eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia, bulimia nervosa, drunkorexia and compulsive overeating disorder. Our treatment methods of these disorders are based on the American school of thought – in particular, we follow the principles outlaid by the New Port Beach Eating Disorders Treatment Centre in California, US, which are characterised by a holistic approach to eating disorders treatment.
The entire therapy comprises a 4-6 week long residential treatment and is intended to speed up the recovery. In addition to that, our aim is to provide our patients with the necessary knowledge and skills to function in their everyday lives.
Having completed the therapy at our centre, our patients will be able to:
- cope with the symptoms of eating disorders and handle their potential relapses
- recognise the causes of eating disorders
- cope with anxiety involving eating and social situations
- build and maintain satisfying interpersonal relationships through healthy communication
- change their unhealthy thinking patterns that led to the disorder in the first place
- find joy and serenity in everyday lives
- develop healthy eating patterns
In addition to that, our patients will learn how to:
- cope with stress and anxiety
- accept oneself and their body fully
- recognise the behavioural patterns typical for individuals suffering from eating disorders
- develop insight and see oneself objectively – in particular, they will be able to interpret their psychosomatic signs
- and symptoms
- release emotional and physical tension in a healthy way
- express freely their emotions and needs
- develop their own autonomy and set boundaries in interpersonal relationships
- be content and be able to focus on their needs
Treating anorexia nervosa or bulimia requires specialised training and a considerable professional experience.
Eating disorders constitute significant health and life risks. Hence, the need for a professional, comprehensive treatment program. The friendly atmosphere and qualified staff at “The Road Back Home” will ensure comfortable and quick recovery.
The principal form of eating disorders treatment relies on Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT). We offer CBT therapy in the form of individual and group sessions.
In addition to that, the elements of CBT are also used when it comes to shaping the atmosphere at our centre and your overall recovery.
We pay particular attention to our patients’ dietary needs by involving nutrition and diet coaching specialists in the therapy process. We do, nevertheless, encourage our patients to become pro-active and self-reliant when it comes to their nutritional habits (understood as preparing varied and balanced meals in appropriate proportions).
Residential therapy and additional treatment forms:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family counselling
In addition to that we offer:
- Body Image Therapy
- Diet Coaching and nutrition classes
- Anger Management Training
- Interpersonal Communication and Assertiveness Trainings
- Art therapy (Bibliotherapy, drama therapy, music therapy, cinema therapy)
- Occupational therapy
- Dance therapy
- Stress relief classes
- Aromatherapy, massage and spa
- Psychodrama classes
- Our centre is a private institution and as such the treatment at our clinic is fully payable. The primary admission criterion is an assessment by our medical team – this has a form of a clinical interview and Body Mass Index (BMI) measurement. The newcomer’s BMI has to be 14 or above.
- The treatment may involve an individual, group, family or any other specialised form of therapy. Our patients remained under constant medical supervision of medical practitioners (physicians), psychiatrists, psychotherapists and nutrition experts.
- The complete treatment lasts a minimum of 4 weeks, but this might be extended should such a need arise.
- Our graduates can also be offered additional, monthly counselling sessions. These sessions are tailored to the graduates’ specific needs.